Health & Wellness
If you’re wondering whether ibuprofen (a medication that reduces pain, inflammation and fever in people) would help your pup feel better in times of need, the answer is no. Dr. Aliya McCullough, veterinarian and pet health advocate, explains why ibuprofen should never be given to your pup.
Ibuprofen is unsafe for dogs because it’s very toxic and can cause life-threatening illnesses.
No amount of ibuprofen is safe for dogs. When dogs ingest ibuprofen, it blocks certain enzymes that are needed for normal stomach and intestinal functions, blood flow to the kidneys and the ability for platelets to form a healthy blood clot. Even though the ibuprofen is broken down and filtered through the liver, it remains in dogs’ bodies for a longer period of time.
Ibuprofen is a drug that is found in name brands such as Motrin, Advil and Nuprin. After ingestion, the toxic effects of ibuprofen ingestion may cause your pet to show the following symptoms:
Since ibuprofen prevents dogs from maintaining their normal bodily functions, toxicity can lead to:
If you suspect your pet has consumed an ibuprofen product, it is an emergency. Immediately contact the nearest veterinary hospital or poison control centers such as the Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680. It’s also helpful to have a pet preparedness plan in place incase an emergency happens.
Ibuprofen toxicity can be fatal and requires immediate veterinary care to give your dog the best chance of recovery. Treatments may include:
The only pet insurance recommended by The Dodo
How to prevent accidental ingestion of ibuprofen
To protect your dog from accidentally ingesting ibuprofen, minimize the risk of their exposure in your home. Follow these tips to keep your pets protected:
Aspirin and Tylenol, similar to ibuprofen, are unsafe for dogs and should be avoided at all costs. Talk to your veterinarian about the right pain control medication for your pup if needed. When dogs eat aspirin and ibuprofen, they risk the ability to maintain normal stomach and intestinal functions, flow blood to the kidneys and form healthy blood clots.
Now that you know how unsafe ibuprofen is for dogs, always practice these safety precautions when keeping it in your home. If they do manage to get into ibuprofen, you’ll be prepared to act fast.
Photo by Andrew Neel on Unsplash